Monday, June 3, 2013

New Series: Arrangement of the Week


Maybe in another life, I was a florist because I have always loved to arrange flowers. When I was a kid, my best friend's mom, a fellow flower lover, had stacks of oasis and she let us make our own flower arrangements from time to time. I loved doing that- and polishing her silver- so this latest read has completely resurrected my inner florist. The Flower Recipe Book, written by two floral designers (so much cooler sounding that florist!) based out of San Francisco, highlights about 50 different flowers and shows three arrangements for each. It's a step-by-step guide to interesting arrangements and includes a list of tools and containers that will help you in your flora quest.


I picked up the book on Friday and barely got to peek at it before running to Raleigh for a wedding on Saturday. While at the reception, I noticed the bride's beautiful hydrangea arrangements but was completely shocked and so touched when she handed me her bouquet at the end of the night. It was such a sweet gesture on her part. By, my friends, don't get too excited- I've fought over caught many a bouquet in my day.

At any rate, the bouquet needed a good home. So on Sunday, I headed to our seasonal flea market and found this silver chiller. Perfect for a bridal bouquet! But it needed a little foliage added to the container. The Flower Recipe Book actually highlights arrangements made with kale and I happened to have quite the harvest in my fridge. Voila! A new arrangement was born. 




I could kick myself for all the other bouquets that I let dry up and wither away and also am mad at myself for not thinking outside the window box more. I vow to take care of my friend's flowers better from now on as well as my own. And, with that, the Arrangement of the Week series is born. What better time of year to start experimenting with flower arrangements? I promise to take more step by step photos so you can see the full transformation. Stay tuned for more inspired by The Flower Recipe Book aka the flower Bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Savoir-Flair. I look forward to reading your comments!